The Senate is back at it again. After failing to repeal the Affordable Care Act (ACA) in July, Senators Cassidy (R-LA) and Graham (R-SC) have introduced another version of repeal and replace and are trying to move it through the Senate before the end of September! This bill is just as bad as the ones that have come before it—if not worse. Repealing the ACA without simultaneously replacing it with a viable replacement plan risks far too much for women and families across the country.
This bill might just be the worst yet. It would:
- Eliminate the individual and employer mandates
- Drastically weaken protections for people with pre-existing conditions
- Eliminate ACA subsidies and give states block grants to provide subsidies themselves
- End the Medicaid expansion immediately and shift the costs to states
- Cut tax credits for moderate-income people who are buying in the individual marketplace
Here are just a few examples of the deadly discrimination that would be allowed under this bill, sending premiums soaring:
This bill, written by—you guessed it—men, would be disastrous for women and women’s health, and it also guts Medicaid, devastating access to health care for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. Here are some additional facts about the impact that the Graham-Cassidy bill would have on women:
Like previous attempts to repeal the ACA, this bill would kick millions of people off of their health insurance. Graham-Cassidy, however, goes even further than its predecessors in eroding basic protections and destroying access to health care for low-income people, seniors, women, and more.
This is just a brief description of the devastating damage that this legislation could do—but there’s still time to keep it from becoming law!
Please write or call your Senators and encourage them to protect our care! We need the Senate to:
- Vote against the Graham-Cassidy bill
- Preserve the ACA’s health care protections for women and girls, including essential health benefits, coverage for pre-existing conditions, access to reproductive health services, and a strong Medicaid program. AND
- Ensure that the ACA is not repealed without a viable replacement plan in place that preserves these important protections for women and girls.
We need ALL hands on deck to save health care and to prevent this cruel bill from becoming law. The Graham-Cassidy bill would be devastating for millions of Americans. We cannot afford to have our health care ripped away. Please—PLEASE—contact your elected officials and tell them to #. Lives are at stake.